This article is under construction.
You can help by editing it! Relevant discussion may be available on this article's comment section below.
RollerCoaster Tycoon Adventures is a new installment of the RCT franchise published by Atari. This game will be the first one of the series on the groundbreaking Nintendo Switch console. Its funding campaign gathered many negative responses.
The game was published in the PAL regions on December 6, 2018 by Bigben Interactive physically in Australia and digitally on the European Nintendo eShop, December 13, 2018 by Atari on the U.S. Nintendo eShop, and a physical copy is planned to be released in the U.S. by AtGames.
Following the huge popularity of the Nintendo Switch and its new concept, Atari decided to publish the next mobile installment of the series on the hybrid console. The game was developed by Nvizzio Creations, who already gathered experience with the RCT brand.
Funding and controversy
The funding campaign was launched by Atari Game Partners on January 23rd, 2018 via StartEngine and was planned to run for 90 days. Alongside with it, a promo video was published on YouTube which had gathered 20,000 views with about 100 likes and 2,000 dislikes after one day. One week later, the video had 50,000 views along with 3,500 dislikes contrasting just 120 likes. After one month, the video had over 56,000 views, 145 likes, and almost 4,000 dislikes.
The funding campaign aimed to raise between $10,000 and $1.04 million. It featured investor perks for funding a certain amount of money:
- All Investors: Option to have your name listed on an Investor's webpage
- At least $250 (which is the minimum amount to invest): Earn a pro rata share of 50% of profits up to 120%, after that, a pro rata share of 25% of profits until 18 months after the worldwide launch of the game. (or less percentages of both shares if there is less than $2 million raised in total)
- At least $750: 25% discount on the finished game and above perks
- At least $1,500: One free copy of the regular edition of the book “The Art of Atari” and above perks
The minimum funding amount was soon reached. The funding campaign was met with very negative reception from players, gaming magazines and influencers as well. After one month there were 95 investors that in total would fund for almost $48,000. Three weeks later almost $56,000 were raised by 110 investors. 5 days before the 90-day fundraising campaign ended, it was canceled by Atari Game Partners. It did not reach a total sum of $100,000.
- News article on atari.com
- Funding campaign on startengine.com
- Promo video for the funding campaign on YouTube
- Schematics Team video on the Game
|RollerCoaster Tycoon Games|
|Compilations||RCT Deluxe • RCT2 Triple Thrill Pack • RCT3 Gold! • RCT3 Platinum! • World of RCT • RCT 6 Pack • RCT Classic|
|Spin-offs||The Board Game • Pinball Machine|