This article is under construction.
You can help by editing it! Relevant discussion may be available on this article's comment section below.
RollerCoaster Tycoon Adventures (abbreviated as RCTA) is a new installment of the RCT franchise published by Atari. This game will be the first one of the series on the groundbreaking Nintendo Switch console. Its funding campaign gathered many negative responses. The title derives from the new game mode Adventure mode.
The game was published in the PAL regions on December 6, 2018 by Bigben Interactive physically in Australia and digitally on the European Nintendo eShop, December 13, 2018 by Atari on the U.S. Nintendo eShop, and a physical copy was released in the U.S. by AtGames. The eShop version costs $49.99. It reached a rating of only 57/100 on Metacritic.
The PC port was released under the same title and only with a few changes from the Switch version on March 19th, 2019. It is available exclusively on the Epic Games store for $29.99. The release trailer on YouTube gained a small number of 6,900 views and 34% likes (66% dislikes) by April 20th, 2019.
The game was also published in Japan by Oizumi Amuio Inc. on May 15, 2019, titled and translated as RollerCoaster Tycoon Adventure (ローラーコースタータイクーン・アドベンチャー RōrāKōsutā Taikūn Adobenchā) and the Japanese eShop version costs 6,400 yen.
Following the huge popularity of the Nintendo Switch and its new concept, Atari decided to publish the next mobile installment of the series on the hybrid console. The game was developed by Nvizzio Creations, who already gathered experience with the RCT brand.
The game featured seven differently themed roller coasters on release which were Wooden, Steel, Winged, Hyper, Inverted, Dive, and Accelerator.
The game features the campaign and sandbox modes known from earlier installations. A new addition is the Adventure mode which the game has its name from. The mode features events that tell a unique story about each park, according to the developer.
Funding and controversy
The funding campaign was launched by Atari Game Partners on January 23rd, 2018 via StartEngine and was planned to run for 90 days. Alongside it, a promo video was published on YouTube which had gathered 20,000 views with about 100 likes and 2,000 dislikes after one day. One week later, the video had 50,000 views along with 3,500 dislikes contrasting just 120 likes. After one month, the video had over 56,000 views, 145 likes, and almost 4,000 dislikes.
The funding campaign aimed to raise between $10,000 and $1.04 million. It featured investor perks for funding a certain amount of money:
- All Investors: Option to have your name listed on an Investor's webpage
- At least $250 (which is the minimum amount to invest): Earn a pro rate share of 50% of profits up to 120%, after that, a pro rate share of 25% of profits until 18 months after the worldwide launch of the game. (or fewer percentages of both shares if there is less than $2 million raised in total)
- At least $750: 25% discount on the finished game and above perks
- At least $1,500: One free copy of the regular edition of the book “The Art of Atari” and above perks
The minimum funding amount was soon reached. The funding campaign was met with very negative reception from players, gaming magazines and influencers as well. After one month there were 95 investors that in total would fund for almost $48,000. Three weeks later almost $56,000 were raised by 110 investors. 5 days before the 90-day fundraising campaign ended, it was canceled by Atari Game Partners. It did not reach a total sum of $100,000.
The game received mixed reviews from critics, with a score of 57 on Metacritic.
- News article on atari.com
- Funding campaign on startengine.com
- Promo video for the funding campaign on YouTube
- Schematics Team video on the game
- PC release trailer
- ↑ Bigben and Atari® Partner to Distribute and Publish New RollerCoaster Tycoon® Adventures for Nintendo Switch(TM) in Europe - GlobalNewswire
- ↑ Released date data on GameFAQs
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000017071
|RollerCoaster Tycoon Games|
|Compilations||RCT Deluxe • RCT2 Triple Thrill Pack • RCT3 Gold! • RCT3 Gold Edition • RCT3 Platinum! • World of RCT • RCT 6 Pack • RCT Mega Pack • RCT3 Complete Edition|
|Ports/remakes||OpenRCT2 • RCT Classic|
|Spin-offs||The Board Game • Pinball Machine|